Monday, August 18, 2014

Genie, You're Free (1951 - 2014)

Okay, first off, let me start with a frustrated sigh, because I tried to write this blog earlier this morning and it got deleted when I closed it to check something...

So, it has already been a full week since the world got the devastatingly painful news that Robin Williams, a man loved by many, not just for his ability to make us bust up laughing had taken his own life.

I feel silly for grieving, as I (just like many) didn't know the man personally. I never met him, yet I find myself confused and with many questions that all lead back to a simple (yet not so simple) one worded question; "why?" I just cannot seem to wrap my head around why a man this loved would choose to end his life. I don't mean this in a mean "Matt Walsh Blogs" way..I mean this in a seriously concerned and confused way. Yes I do understand now that just because a person seems exuberantly happy, and is able to make a crowd roar with laughter does not mean they aren't hiding demons. And I also understand that finding out you have got Parkinsons disease is probably a really hard thing to take in, especially when you are already battling a mental illness like he was.

It all makes me wonder "what if?" ..What if just one person would have been there for him to lean on and talk to? ..what if someone was there to tell him "You are worth it, you are loved by many and your life is worth living. " Or simply "I love your work, thank you." Would these words of thoughtfulness and encouragement have changed anything? I would have gladly been the person to tell him that his life is worth living.

I also grieve for his children, especially Zelda, who posted some beautiful things on her social media accounts in his memory. And to the people who were trolling her, you should feel ashamed of yourselves.

We are never going to have Robin Williams back, but we do have the ability to keep his memory alive by watching the movies, tv shows, stand ups, and interviews he did over the years. We can also donate to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, and/or to the troops since he supported both.

Oh and if you are in the area where his funeral is to take place, and have the time please try to make a counter-protest wall to shield his family and friends from the horrible horrible people who make up the Westburo Baptist Church. Yes, they of course are planning to picket. He nor his family deserve this.

If you would like to raise awareness on suicide prevention, TWLOHA (To Write Love On Her Arms) has a pack for sale for Suicide Prevention Day (which is September 10th I believe). The pack costs $30 and includes a T-shirt, a poster, an information flier, and a bracelet. The shirt, and flier feature an orange silhouette, the poster is a black silhouette.  The theme is "No one else can play your part" which is written over the silhouettes and on the bracelet.

So, if you are having thoughts of taking your own life...I want you to know that YOU are worth it, YOU are loved, YOU are not a burden. Even if I do not know you, I want you here!

So in the end, although it hurts and I think in a way will always hurt, I want to say..

"Genie, you're free" and "Oh captain, my captain." .. You will be missed by many who although never had the pleasure of knowing you in real life felt like we knew you. We now grieve like your family grieves. Maybe not as long or strong, but we still grieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment